Saturday, October 31, 2009

Paxil Pooped Out; How long until Zoloft works?

Hello again everyone,

Wanted to let you all know what my Dr. said. Remember I was switching over from Paxil to Zoloft for the last six weeks. I'm up to Zoloft 100mgs for the past 2 weeks with minimal side effects. Last Friday I discontinued my Paxil (was down to 7.5mgs or 15mgs, can't remember) and starting Saturday and Sunday and felt horrible. Had extremely upset stomach, lots of bowel problems and extreme anxiety. Wasn't sure if it was due to my increase of Zoloft (went from 100mgs to 112.5 mgs past Friday) or my discontinuing of the Paxil. Well, I spoke to the Dr. before and he said it was much more likely that I was having a withdrawl from my Paxil. He said that since I took Paxil for the past 5 years my body probably needs more time to ween off of it.

It makes sense to me but what do you all think? I've heard of some people taking two different ssri's or an ssri and an ssni but I would really appreciate your opinion. Maybe I'm better staying with the really small dose of Paxil (10mgs) until my Zoloft kicks in. What do you all think?

If I started taking 100mgs. of Zoloft 2 weeks ago how long should it be until I feel better? I missed work yesterday and today (Monday and Tuesday) and really need to get back to work (need job and money to support family).

Again, thank you all for your help, concern and advice,
Steve
Answer:
The side effects you experienced were most likely caused from the abrupt withdrawal from Paxil...which you should NEVER do! Always ALWAYS wean yourself off of any of those type medications slowly. And typically, most antidepressants take a minimum of 4-6 weeks before they begin to take effect on the chemicals of the brain. Be patient, and just relax. Some people have to experiment with many types of antidepressants before they find one that works for them. Lucky for us, there are many types out there for us to try. Good luck!
Steve...sounds like you need to remain on the Paxil a bit longer..(at your lower dosage), if your Dr is OK with that. Most medications such as Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac take a couple of weeks to "kick in"...it also sounds like you are on quite a high beginning dosage of Zoloft...it seems to me the Dr would have begun to lower your Paxil, while introducing Zoloft and then gradually decreasing one while increasing the other to the desired dosage. And, too, Zoloft may not be right for you...if you continue to have these problems, make an appointment to go in and SEE your Dr...I, personally, am on Prozac and have been for about 7 years (began with 20mg and am now at 60mg) and have had little to no side affects and have been able to keep my dosage low (I take it for anxiety, not depression)...however, I began taking it after witnessing my 2nd husband shooting himself and then was with him when he died several days later. Was experiencing "PTSD" (although I didn't want to belive it)...and have found Prozac to be a God-send for me..in all aspects of my mental health...It is what gets me going every day...like you, there are days that I almost can't make it out of bed...and there are many days I feel like crawling in a hole and pulling the hole in after me...(lol !)...it sucks, big time. Without help (Prozac) I think I would be just a big ol' blob of jello...
I really feel if your Dr can get your dosage right, you will begin to feel better quite soon. I do know that with these meds, sometimes, it's a trial-and-error deal..
Good luck to you. There are more of "us" out there, than you know!
You need to continue to be closely monitored by your physician. Some meds can take up to 6 weeks to build up enough in your system to be effective.
Everyones body and physicological makeup are so different, it is really difficult to judge your reaction and symptoms with someone elses.
Sometimes when you get back into your normal routine, work, you feel better. Even tho you don't feel like getting up and going, once you are there and productive, it can take your mind off a lot of other things. Your choice though, you are in charge of the choices in your life.
I like the Mayo Clinic website for researching. I have learned long ago I have to be my own best patient advocate, and for me, thats knowledge.
Good luck to you ~

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depress...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-in...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-in...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net