Sunday, October 25, 2009

One of my friends is having terrible anxiety and depression, so I told her to take 5-HTP (100mg). Good idea?

She is 22 years old and is going through a lot right now and had a panic attack about a week ago. Plus she has been dizzy, nauseated, and suicidal. I told her to try the natural supplement 5-HTP thinking that might be the best along with a multi vitamin plus extra B6 and B12 vitamins. However, I also told her about SAM-e and St. John's Wort. I also thought about suggesting L-Theanine (in addition to vitamins and 5-HTP) as well but didn't mention it. I figure if she doesn't show improvement in about 3 to 4 days I might recommend going to the doctor for an anti-depressant. Do you think this is a good plan or do you have any other suggestions I could give her? She is a sweet girl that is going through some tough times and I really want her to feel better. I have known her for 3 years and this is the worst she has ever been. :(
Answer:
Instead of telling her to take supplements tell her to get to a therapist NOW. Seriously, she's suicidal. Supplements aren't going to help her. She needs therapy and maybe medication.

I don't want to sound mean or anything but if you know that she's suicidal and tell her to take some OTC supplements that are in no way proven to work for these ailments, what kind of friend are you? Any real friend would have taken her somewhere where she could get counseling and be safe. If she doesn't show improvement in 3-4 days you'll tell her to get real help? What if she's dead by then?
i have relly bad enxiety and i take fish oil
When did u become a drug dealer?
so now you are a doctor and can prescribe drugs to people what if she does commit suicide then what will you tell yourself?
No honey, 3 or 4 days ain't gonna cut it if you are going the natural way. Yes, 5-HTP is a good supplement to take, but it would take about 4-5 weeks to notice anything. Some things that have really helped my 17-year-old daughter is:
Fish Oil - -you can buy it at Wal-mart. She takes 1 or 2 of the 1000 mg. per day. She also takes a B-complex with C (125 mg - got it at the GNC store). And Evening Primrose Oil might also be helpful. One 1000 mg per day (got it at Wal-mart). It's worth waiting the 4 weeks to see improvement rather than jumping right into taking anti-depressants. Not to say she won't ever have to take prescription medication, but with those, it's a guessing game as to which one will work for her with the least amount of side affects.

One more thing . . . and it is certainly worth a try. Go to a search engine (Google) and look up Aqua Detox USA. On this site you can request that they email you a list of spa locations in your state that have the Aqua Detox. This is essentially a "foot bath" that helps the body detoxify through the pores of the feet. It costs about $40 for a 30 min. session. No side affects whatsoever, except that she might want to rest a little after having one done, and drink a lot of water.

My daughter had horrible anxiety/depression - - I think most of it was due to a hormone imbalance. Someone suggested an aqua detox session and a friend of ours came from out of town and did it. My daughter thought she was getting a spa treatment of some sort, so she didn't know we were trying it for health reasons. Within days I was amazed at the difference in her moods. No panic attacks. Then I took her every 2 weeks to have it done. Since December she has only had 2 or 3 anxiety/depressive episodes and they were mild compared to last year. Some people might think this is hokey, but I'm here to tell you that it has done wonders for my daughter. Maybe "detoxifying" this way helped balance her hormones which was causing some of her depression. The treatment is relatively cheap compared to the cost of several doctor visits and the prescription meds. My daughter went that route and it didn't work for her like more natural, alternative things.
i don't believe in drugs to treat any depression, she should go to a counseling group. Trying to express her pain can help her go on so later she could have a tranquil process.
I manage my depression with St. Johns Wort. I take other supplements to deal with migraines and insomnia. As I am very familiar with natural supplements, I can tell you that with most of them, you will not see any improvement in a few days. They can take a few weeks to a few months before any noticable changes can take place. If your friend is as bad as you say, she should not wait and see if she has any luck with supplements, she should get immediate advice from her doctor. Perhaps supplements are the best route for her, but her doctor should be the one to advise her in this situation, not you. I know your intentions are good, but your advice could potentially cause more harm than good.
I think she should go and see her doctor or a naturapath. Some herbal supplements are good for some people and not for others. I have been told that St John's Wort is very good for some people but in others it can make the symptoms a lot worse. My naurapath put me on some tablets which helped a lot but she only recommended them too me after a consultation.
omg no... its just makes us sicker... just let her go see a doc... i know its hard but she needs to
Anyone who's suicidal needs professional help and evaluation. Suicidal tendencies can't be "cured" by naturopatchic medicine alone. Refer her to either a trusted friend or family member so she can get the help she needs.
She needs to see a doctor... I know you are trying to help but she needs real medical attention
She also needs to be eating nutritious meals, watching a comedy every day, going for a walk outside every day, and sleeping. She really needs to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net