Saturday, October 31, 2009

Panick attacks?

i have suffered from panic attacks for roughly 6 months, i have tried medication and it has not really worked for me, i would like to try a counceller but i am quite a shy person, can i get over my attacks by myself, or will they always be a part of me?
Answer:
try to figure out what's causing them..if they are not caused by any specific thing it may be hard..I have had panic attacks for over 10 years...I would definitely recommend the counselor
just keep asking questions on here. You will find a lot of people have them and the answers to your questions will make you feel better, stronger and ready to face your problem in the face. Good luck.
It can be scary to open up to a stranger but please know that trained counselors are there to help. Perhaps you could give it a try? You might also want to "practice" on a message board where you can be anonymous and yet still receive wonderful support:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhp...

Have you done any reading on panic attacks? Learning more about a condition often can help alleviate some fears:

http://emotional.health.ivillage.com/anx...

Take care of yourself : )
I got over mine about 95%, but it took 16 years.

You should probably talk to somebody about it if you can.
sounds like you have social anxiety. some alternative therapies can help if you want to keep off traditional meds. light therapy and hypnotherapy can ease your symptoms. psychotherapy can help if you find the right doctor. I have been fighting for years it is very hard to get over by yourself but if you want to try you can try to do new things that scare you each day, talk to people even just ask them the time to start, be out and about as much as possible and it will make you more comfortable. it gets worse if you do nothing.
A counselor is the only person who will be able to sort this problem out for you properly. Dealing with it yourself is of no use now as it is too serious and it has been going on for 6 months now 鈥?you need to see someone. And yes, these attacks will probably always be a part of you if you don鈥檛 deal with it through medical professionals; they will also get progressively worse and harder to treat the longer you put this off.
Don鈥檛 let your shyness damage your health, it鈥檚 their job, go and see your GP for a referral.

Best of luck!
I used to have panic attacks alot wen i was younger. Deep breathing during an attck helps. Try meditation it helps u to relax. Did u go thru any traumatic experiences in the past? Counselling will prolly help and a counsellor is trained to take things @ your pace. Good luck and spirit bles!
You can definitely get over them! I did, by remembering that I'm always in control of my body and mind. I can tell you my experience. I used to have panic attacks that felt like heart attacks.. and I'd get them in random places for random reasons. It took about 3 years for them to subside to the point that I stopped being scared that I would have them every day.. and not being worried about getting panic attacks made me have less panic attacks!

When you feel one coming on, remember that you're still in control. You can make it die down again before it gets full-blown. Get away from whatever you're doing, start breathing really slowly and deeply, and then make yourself think specific thoughts like "this thing is going to go away" and "this feeling will not last forever" .. and "this is definitely not a heart attack, so this isn't going to hurt me". It helps to break the cycle of anxiety.. when you feel one coming on, you worry it's going to get really bad, which makes it worse, which makes you worry it's going to kill you, which makes it worse, etc. Just remember, you can control your body by thinking positive things. Try it, and once you realize you have a little bit of power over the attacks, you'll have less and less and less of them. You'll stop being so anxious about not being able to control them, so you'll have less of them!

A counselor will help too. Definitely see a counselor. They're nice people.
You have many options.

1) try different medication
2) go to a therapist (I know you said you didn't want to do this, but once you get one-on-one with somebody trying to help it might ease your worries. Hey, you could try it once atleast)
3) There are tons of books out there that really outline the disorder and give very constructive ways to overcome it.
4) I used to go to www.panicsurvivor.com. I got a really good vibe from that site and it is always nice to communicate with people who understand what you are going through.

Panic attacks are a learned behaviour and the longer you wait to get them taken care of, the harder it is to unlearn the behaviour or relearn more constructive behaviours. Take the time now and invest in yourself to ensure a better future.
I was having 5 panic attacks a day about 2 years ago. I had CBT that did not work. I am on fluoxetine 20mg a day which totally stops them. If i stop or miss the fluoxetine i get tem again. I have been on this med for 1 1/2 years. Panic attacks are the most frightening thing i have ever experianced and i can't stress this enough to my boyfriend who struggles to understand the distress i have with them. I find that after a full blown panic attack the relief that you got through it gives you a sense of well being. Also knowing that it is impossible to die from them helped. Finding the trigger or thought that causes the attacks can help if you work on solving it. A great place i found for support and that helped me get through the hardest part was http://www.uncommonforum.com/
You will get through it even though now it seems impossible. All the best xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net