Saturday, October 31, 2009

Overcoming abuse?

I was in an abusive relationship 2 years ago and it's been almost a year since h last assaulted me (because I had gone trhough therapy and finally saw him for what he was). Every now and then, I have nightmares and feel very sad about the way he treated me. I know I am worth the best, but I wanted to know what else could I do to continue on the path of recovery and how long would it take?
Answer:
everyone is different so how long it takes is like saying how long is a piece of string as you can not just give a time limit to it all. I can say I went through a real abusive relationship and he even went as far as setting his dog on me but now I have 4 great kids and a good life. I say this because I want you to know that things can get better and you will get past it all. it might take longer then you think but one day you will get past it. keep up with the therapy that is the best thing in the world to get over bad stuff that has happened to anyone. good luck.
i know where your coming from.. i was abused as a young kid.. until my early teen years... there is no way to tell how long it will take.. what i did was i got a dart board, and a punching bag.. and i took my fustation out on them. it always made me feel better because then i was reasuring myself that if i was put in the situation again.. i would have some strength and knowledge on how to fight back
It is so great that you realize that you are on a "path" of recovery. So many people believe that there is an easy remedy to abuse. I was told to just end the relationship and everything would be better, if only it were that simple!

You are absolutely worth the best, and everytime you treat yourself that way you will continue to really "know" it. Take time to journal your thoughts, focusing on what brings your joy, what makes you unique and what you want for your own life. Then everyday do something for yourself: take a long bath, go for a walk, whatever it is that you love to do...do it. It will reinforce to yourself that you are worth it. When the nightmares and sad feelings come try to do something extra special for yourself like have a massage, take a yoga class, go to the beach, etc. Somthing that affirms your belief that you are a wonderful person. Treating yourself well will take the power away from those negative feelings.

For me, it was hard to do anything for myself for a long time, I didn't think I was worthy. I could talk the talk, but once I really started to treat myself with care I was able to let other people do the same thing. I sincerely hopes this help you and that you continue down your path!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net