Saturday, October 31, 2009

Paxil and Xanax?

After pregnancy my wife starting experiencing some mild depression and panic attacks. Her ob-gyn put her on paxil and xanax about 1 month ago. Lately she has been having panic attacks that were more sever than before she started. Last night she was screaming and clutching her head saying she felt like she was having a stroke and her head was going to explode. This lasted about 10 minutes, after which she become very quiet and calm and would not talk or respond to me. Also lately, she has started having some wierd body movements like rocking back and forth while watching tv or furiously tapping her legs. Are these normal for paxil/xanax? which of the two are the more likely culprit, and should she stop taking the medication?
Answer:
Likely it is an adverse reaction to paxil. She can consult her doctor and see if s/he will raise the dose of xanax to .5mg three times a day until she stabilizes. Also, psychotherapy will help with this as well.

Paramedic in SC
If anything, it's the paxil, get her off that stuff before she becomes a whale and loses all her emotions, it's no good, the xanax is ok in moderation..but can lead to more depression, something to watch out for. Paxil causes weight gain in many cases.

EDIT: I had a boyfriend on that stuff and once in a while he would get very weird like that..especially if he missed a dose.
Hell no man! These are not good reactions. Xanax is the most worthless crap ever created. It's highly addictive and an accidental overdose can be deadly. Get her off Xanax. The Paxil may be making things worse because of a bad mix between the two. Get a 2nd opinion.
Hi There,
Wow, her condition must be a mood swing over %26 over! I am taking 30mg. of Paxil for years, I strongly reccomend Paxil either 1 or the other defentatly not both! As this is why she's flipping out. (over medicated) Please get her off one "NOW" preferably Xanax, ASP You can't take two "mood stabilizers!"
All the Best to your Wife,
Care %26 Concern,
Diana D
P.S. I hope she's not breast feeding with these medications
It also could be Post Pardom Symptoms!!!
It sounds like she could have postpartum depression. I am also a mother of two children and at one time I was on paxil for depression and xanax for panic attacks. I never experienced an reaction like she is having. I would take her back to her doctor as soon as possible and he can take her off the paxil immediately and give her a different antidepressant.
She has to get off the paxil! The xanax helped me greatly with my panic attacks. But you have to be very care full that she dosen`t abuse it. It is very addicting. I sought help from a wonderfull physiologist and once a month I go to a psychiatrist to monitor my medications. I feel so sorry for your wife. Give her love and as much support as you can and in time she can get through this trying time. I was just weened off xnax last week. She really needs to go to a doctor that can find out what is causing her to feel this way. It will take time but it`s important that she finds someone that she feels totally comfortable with and ca n trust this person. If they are good she will be taught the skills to learn how to cope with whats bothering her. It`s going to take time but in the end it`s worth it. My doctor taught me the tools to use and coping mechanisms to deal with the stress of everyday life, and after suffering for years I am was finally able to overcome my depression. I really wish her the best, please get her to a doctor asap! Good Luck:)
I would guess that either it's the Paxil, or it's happening for the same reason that the original panic attacks did - prior to the Paxil.

You must tell your wife's prescribing doctor and get his advice; if she must stop the Paxil she should do so slowly. I would also suggest that your wife be referred to a psychiatrist to tackle the original cause of the panic attacks and also these new and more severe problems. She needs to be evaluated properly and a psychiatrist is the right person to do this.

If your wife can manage without the Xanax too, it might be an idea for her to stop both medicines and see how she feels - but only if her doctor advises this is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net