Saturday, October 31, 2009

Panic attacks in public?

I am geting to the point that I have panic attacks every week%26gt; Just getting through work is horrible. Just the other day I pulled in to a parking lot to go to a store and got so nervous that I had to leave and go home. I do not even go to resturants anymore. Me and the public just dont mix! I have seen doctors, been on meds, and everything else and nothing has helped. Does anyone else deal with this? I appreciate all your answers and help.
Answer:
The treatment for panic attacks is benzodiazepines like diazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam or clonazepam can be prescribed to be taken at the onset of the panic attack. Sometimes, the psychological knowledge of knowing that such medication is close at hand may be enough to prevent the panic attack. However, this form of treatment may be considered unfavorable by some doctors, because of the potential for abuse. Furthermore, sometimes when the individual inadvertently forgets his medication at home, he will have a panic attack solely because he realizes he is without that safety net. Additionally, benzodiazepines will not treat the cause of the panic attacks. As such, some doctors may prefer to prescribe an antidepressant, particularly an SSRI (such as paroxetine or sertraline), which after an initial titration period may be effective at reducing anxiety. NaSSAs such as mirtazapine have also been found effective, particularly with individuals whose anxiety and panic causes insomnia. Individuals can also treat themselves during panic attacks by breathing into a paper bag (to decrease effects of hyperventilation), doing diaphragmatic breathing applying ice to the face or massaging the body to help stop the physiological reactions. Panic attacks are completely treatable and can be overcome with the correct combination of medication and therapy.

One particularly helpful and effective form of therapy is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Techniques used may include those based upon the concept that intentional exposure to the symptoms will help decrease the sufferer's fear of panic attacks (Symptom Induction). Symptom induction is in essence a form of systematic desensitization. That is, it intends to desensitize the afflicted from the symptoms of panic attacks. The therapist and patient discuss the nature of their attacks, and the symptoms which they fear most. The CBT typically consists of several sessions in which these symptoms are intentionally induced until the patient is less fearful. Inductions generally occur for one minute and may include: intentional hyperventilation, spinning in a chair, straw breathing, breath holding, head lifting, or running in place etc. The key to the induction is that the exercises should mimic the most frightening symptoms of a panic attack. Prior to inducing symptoms (hyperventilation, for example), the therapist asks the patient to rate their level of anxiety. Following the exercise, they rate their resulting level of anxiety. This is repeated at least five times until the anxiety rating is low. The patient's worst symptoms are focused on in this fashion, and the symptom induction cycle is repeated for each symptom.

Many people overcome Panic Disorder and sudden panic attacks on their own. It takes time, but in a sense, they ride out the panic attacks and eventually learn that nothing is going to happen during one. Often, they 'taper off' until they are not noticeable any longer. It is for this reason that some psychologists helping people with panic disorders induce them into an attack, so they can see for themselves that indeed, nothing will happen.
yea. im 15[yea i know lol] i have panic attacks everyday at school. its horrible cuz i get the nausea. well i just have to distract myself. but yea i know its hard. but u can get through!
its really just mind over matter. :]
Xanax
Milk is great for it I stopped having them 5 years ago when my mom told me calcium blocks nerve reactions slowing the panic so I can think.
Drink two to three full glasses a day
yea i have a hard time goin places now a day by trains cus i get hot n naseous a headache and i start to think that i cant breathe so i usually end up havin to get off the train but today i was able to keep myself calm enough to make it to my stop
I have dealt with panic attacks for about 25 years. I'm now 43. Thankfully, I haven't had one in a bit. My meds are working good. Please continue to find a doctor who can help you. There are many different types of drugs for panic and anxiety attacks. It's just matter of time before one will work for you.

In the meantime, when an attack occurs, breath evenly, count to 30 and tell yourself over and over again that you are not dying, that this will pass. And it will. Because, it's just an attack, like asthma. It will pass. Be kind to yourself and get some professional counselling. And make sure you get a psychiatrist to handle your problem. Not any other kind of doctor.

You could also go to a health store and tell them your problem. They will be able to point you in the right direction regarding a start in a good vitamin and mineral program and maybe some sort of herbs to calm you down. Sometimes these can help people who are resistant to meds. Besides, it would be better if you could get things under control naturally.

Mind you, most meds are some form of a previously natural plant. I have no qualms taking drugs. It's a matter of deciding quality of life over quantity.

I'm thinking of you. Hold on.
http://www.healpastlives.com/future/cure...
Try counting backward or recieting something in your head over and over. Don't stay away from people Lets say you have to go to the store sing a song to your self any thing to focus you mind off the people and on you going in the store and get what you want . Go through an express line and then leave keep doing this and sooner you'll be able to go to stores again,maybe not a mall . Ease back slowly. When your haveing a panic attack it is flight or flee the stronger you get the more you can fight.Ive gone through this for years if none of this helps so you DR. Good luck Let me know if this helps CAB
Nine years ago I could have written the EXACT thing you did. My attacks didn't stop until I became disabled and had to quit work, then they stopped. I think mine was caused by so much stress at work and just worrying about things... I guess I just didn't realize the stress I was under. Now, though I do have some difficulty doing certain things, I do feel better and have no more attacks. Maybe, just maybe, you are also under much stress and or worry, but you do not realize it. I would suggest you think about that and see if there are some things you could do to help yourself relax more ... not sure just what that might be for you.
I wish you much luck in figuring out what the problem is, because I know how serious it is from experience.
Good luck.
.
I get them all the time. I can't even go out on a regular basis without getting a panic attack. I see a therapist and sometimes take my meds (seroquel %26 zoloft) , but I still get them. I try going at times when it's not crowded, like before lunch and later in the evening like 10-12 midnight. I'm on disability because I could not work around people, and it took forever to finally get that. I'm also bipolar, OCD etc. Having my husband helps, but sometimes it's hard with him as well.
It got worse the older I got, so I have to fight each day. I stay home most of the time, because people get on my nerve and I find myself wanting to go off sometimes. I do most of my shopping online, because malls are definitely out, but I still try to fight it and go every know and then and it is a struggle. I found myself driving somewhere and would turn around because my heart starts to race and the crowds. So I can sympathize with you.
I understand what you are going through...
I was suddenly plagued with panic attackes at the age of 19. It was so bad that I though I would never recover or be "sane" again. I was finding myself at the hospital on a weekly basis to treat the physical effects the attacks were having on me. The attacks would last for days and my life was pretty mcuh crippled from them. I finally decided to try a new medication and I was prescribed Paxil. After about 3 weeks, the attacks lessened and then totally stopped. The paxil relieved my anxiety symptoms, however I had some side effects I did not enjoy, however they were better than feeling insane. After I felt totally in control of my life again I was brave enough to switch to a different med with less side effects, since the Paxil had made me gain a lot of weight. I am now on Celexa and I am 26 years old. I lost most of the weight shortly after switching meds and I am pretty much free of panic attacks, but do however run into periods where I have more anxiety then normal, but they are not even a percent of what I experienced before. I hope that this helps :) or if you have any questions that you would lik to ask me feel free !!
Hi J.B.
I used to get awfully debilitating panic attacks too, in fact it sounds like mine were much worse than yours...couldn't even go see a movie, the line-up was too much for me.
I saw docs, got meds etc and nothing worked...until.I finally saw a doc that suggested I undertake an anxiety disorder/panic attack group at my local hospital. It was like a 6 week course, conducted by a psychologist with a group of us attending once a week. They taught us the physiology of the attacks and practical ways of getting them under control. While undertaking the course, the attacks continued (which apparently is common), but after the course, I only ever had one full blown panic attack which I was able to quickly bring under control, and I've never had a full blown attack since (in 15 years!!). Once you learn the physiology behind the attacks and learn how to breathe differently (from the abdomen rather than the chest etc) you should be able to conquer them. My new breathing techniques are now like second nature to me and whenever my anxiety level goes up, by regulating my breathing I am able to ensure they never develop into panic.
I hate when I hear that people are on meds for years for panic as I know for a fact that the condition can be managed without drugs.
Good luck and hope you are panic free really soon.
EDITED to add...

I should have added that they taught me new ways to breath, and also new ways to think. The course offered many different techniques (not everyone uses the same one), but the thinking technique that really helped me was the idea of a "stop sign".every time my thoughts went to catastrophizing my situation, or thinking the worst was about to happen, I learnt to tell myself stop and immediately think of something else and try not to let the thoughts back into my mind.other people keep elastic bands on their wrist to snap to achieve the same result. One really important thing that the course taught me was worrying about things don't change them anyhow.
Good luck and please look at options other than meds...at least give them a try.they worked for me much better than any meds and it feels so good to be free again. After doing the course I was able to complete law school and now am a lawyer on my feet in court all the time with zero panic!
Ive been there and still do that. Your panic attacks may be turning into a phobia. Its called "Agoraphobia". I am on Xanax and Trazadone, you might ask your doctor about these. Good luck!
I have these all the time, its been years. I hate going outside and dealing with people, I have valuims but if I don't take them before I go outside, I have the harest time, the valuim doesn't help all of it but it makes it a little bit easier. I don't know what to tell you, but if you find out how to deal with it better let me know...
I feel you panic attacks are real but look at them like this may be your not meant to be in the public eye all the time God could be protecting you from something or you could have a gift of detecting evil a gift of discernment this world is nuts just think about when people turned around and didn't go into the twin towers they survived we want to label everything it could be God protecting us from evil just begin to pray and say the Lords prayer our father which art in heaven hollowed be thy name pray as his disciple's did these are times when God wants us to trust him back in the day we didn't have disorders everything is a disorder another way for people to get rich we must learn to trust God more PRAY and BREATHE
It is called social anxiety.

Check out this website: http://www.socialphobia.org/

There are a lot of people with this problem, and it is something you can get help with. But you need to get help from professionals with specific experience in this area.
try EFT. It looks stupid but it does work. I have used it on all sorts of things
Yes, it's called agoraphobia. That lady on the cooking channel had it, you know, Paula Dean. Also my sister would get panic attacks in class at college, sometimes. Is there a particular thing that triggers it? Or is it just a free floating anxiety for seemingly no reason. There are alot of medications out there, surely one of them could help you. Like xanax (sedative like valium), seroquel, buspar (specifically for anxiety). Maybe you need to find a more knowlegable doctor.
get professional help from a doctor
Yes.. I am a female and I have a boyfriend who has them.. 2 things were causing his... He has low hormones ( which was determined through a blood test) and he has hypothroidism. Both can contribute to anxiety/panic/depression. Did the doctor check for either of these ? Hope you get better ! onegood nurse Cici
Your best bet is a combination of therapy and medication - a lot of people will have good results with a beta-blocker which is a medication that inhibits your heart from beating to fast, there are also other meds that can help.
I get panic attacks so bad my chest feels tight and I think its my heart. I have mild tranquilizers which help me. Ive been going through this for years . I know how you feel because it takes the enjoyment out of most happy times. You cant talk to people about this because they get tired of hearing about it. Try to find a good dr who will understand and give you advice and meds to deal with your praticular problem. Good luck
i have smae problem .. its not a good feelin i knwo so im very sorry u feelin this . mayb if u get around ppl who have same problem and talk try to work out y u r feelin this way. try to jsut force urself to get next time this happens and see how u feel after .. i had to do this had been 6 months since i went out to store or anythign then oneday i said i got to do this so i did and it has helped al lil to just face the fear of it ... if u would like to talkt o someone im here u can mail me ... i hope things get better for u soon
Make sure to cut down slowly on caffeine until you have none at all, it worked for me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net