Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Please Help !!?

I've been on Zoloft for about 1 1/2 months now. The first couple of weeks I was very dizzy and feeling sick to my stomach. When I went to my doctor the 3rd week in I told her this and she kept me on the same dosage instead of upping it for another month becuase she didnt want the side effects to get worse but also to see if they went away. The thing is they aren't im still feeling this way? Is this normal to still have the side effects ?? I was on effexor for a month and a bit and went into a serious depression so she switched to Zolft. Why am I having such a hard time with them? Please help!!
Answer:
The first step is to sit down and talk to your doctor about your concerns. Ask if those side effects are normal, and tell her that you don't feel like you can deal with constantly feeling ill. If you don't feel like your doctor is being completely open with you about this matter, or if you worry that she doesn't have your best interests at heart, you should definitely get a second opinion, and possibly look for a new doctor.
If you are still having side effects then that means this is not the right drug for you. Call your doc and let her know that you are still not doing well on this med so she can try something different.
Is your doctor actually a psychiatrist? If not, then THIS is why you are having problems. You need to see a psych because they are really good at prescribing not only the right drug, but also the right DOSE - and this is vital.

Insist on being referred to a psychiatrist.

I am on Effexor and I felt terrible for the first four weeks; I wanted to stop taking it. But my psychiatrist told me I had to try adjusting the dose first - and though I was sceptical he was right!
God loves you, and you are precious to Him. Son of God died on the Cross to save us from condemnation. Just come to Jesus with genuine repentance and faith, and you will have a great life of joy, peace, hope and meaning. Life on earth is short and uncertain; Heaven is eternal without end and wonderful beyond descriptions. Never, never, miss Heaven for anything in this troubled world. Best wishes for happiness and Heaven!
Everyone is different.I've been on zoloft for 8 months now and i've had no problem at all with it.
You should go back to your doctor and explain this im sure she will change your medication there are alot of anti-depressants out there.
Once the medictaion has been changed ,if you still feel like this then you should get it checked out just incase you have a physical problem.Please try not to worry,good luck :)
I had the same problems when I started taking Zoloft...did your doctor wean you off of the Effexor gradually or did she just switch you from one to the other? I had to wean myself off the Effexor because when I didn't take it, I got dizzy (so bad I was almost falling down) and sick, and got these horrible shakes and "brain zaps." When I went off the Effexor it took me about 2-3 months to finally feel better again, and then that is when my doctor put me on Zoloft + Wellbutrin and they seem to be doing the trick for me. I would say don't give up on it yet, and talk to your doctor again because if you are still coming off the Effexor it could be some of that is left in your system. Effexor is HORRIBLE for withdrawals. Good luck to you I hope you start feeling better!
You don't say what dosage you are on for the zoloft or the effexor. I used to take effexor xr 150 mg (for 5 years) and am now on zoloft 100mg (for about 8 months now). I was dizzy, lightheaded and very tired for about 2 months when I first started taking the zoloft. If you have been going to a family physician, you might try a mental health clinic for another opinion. There are so many meds out there that help. Not every med can help every person so you do have to know where to start and go from there until you get the right med and dosage.
I have suffered from depression since a very young age and did not seek help until after multiple suicide attempts. I checked myself in to a mental health unit and it did wonders for me. Your case doesn't sound that severe, however, untreated, you never know where your mind will end up.
You will have to keep trying to find your med and dosage, but believe me, it is worth it in the long run. I have never felt so well in my life as I have the last 6 years or so. I am 38 now and consider myself mentally healthy.
Another thing to consider, what is your age? If you are a teen the side effects MUST be closely monitered. You should be able to check in with your doctor on a bi-weekly basis at the very least until you feel healthier.
Please remember also that you must take the meds consistantly; same time of day, every day.
You may not feel it right now, but you will get better. I hope this answer helps a bit and if you want, please email me at absolutelymehere@yahoo.com

P.S. Bipolar meds? You really need to get another opinion from an actual therapist. You didn't say you had manic episodes and effexor is not a bi polar treatment drug so I am not understanding why that would be the next step.
You should ask your doctor to give you a prescription for nausea, promethazine tab 25mg take 1 or 2 tablets by mouth every 4 to 6 hours as needed. They work just fine for me. Or try another depression medication, cymbalta 30mg taken at bedtime helps me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net